17 Feb EIC Transition 2021 Results
EIC TRANSITION 2021 RESULTS
In this article I will present insights based on the official data of the very first edition of the EIC Transition launched in 2021 within Horizon Europe. The EIC Transition is a different funding scheme from all the others within the EIC since applications must originate from previously funded projects – coming from: 1) EIC Pathfinder; 2) FET; 3) ERC PoC.
EIC TRANSITION 2021 INSIGHTS
As per all the EIC programmes the calls are split in Open and Challenge. In 2021, there were just two strategic challenge call topics within Transition: 1) Medical devices and 2) Energy harvesting and storage technologies. Total budget was €100mn – €59.60mn for Open and €40.50mn for Challenge. 42 Projects were funded for a total of €99mn.
– 68% of funding – €67mn were awarded to the Open category
– 32% of funding – €32mn were awarded to the Challenge category
– 60% – #25 of successful EIC Transition projects originated from ERC PoC
– 40% – #17 of successful EIC Transition project originated from Pathfinder/FET
– 62% – #26 projects are coordinated by R&D organisations
– 38% – #16 projects are coordinated by Start-ups/Spin-offs
EIC TRANSITION 2021 BREAKDOWN BY COUNTRY
Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands did particularly well. Belgium, Austria, Ireland and Sweden had good results. Quite interestingly the EIC Accelerator market leader France did not get any Transition, while the second best in the Accelerator Israel only won 1 within Transition.
I hope you liked my article on the EIC Transition 2021 results. To learn more on the 2022 EIC Transition programme – visit our EIC Transition page.